Sodium bicarbonate, also known as baking soda, has many uses.
- In cooking, baking soda is used as a leavening agent i.e. it has a foaming action when added to doughs and batters that lightens and softens the mixture.
- In medicine, it is an antacid used to relieve heartburn and acid indigestion.
- In pest control, it can be an effective way of controlling fungal growth. In the United States, sodium bicarbonate is registered by the Environmental Protection Agency as a biopesticide.
- In personal hygiene, sodium bicarbonate in toothpaste has been shown to have a better whitening and plaque removal effect. It is also used in deodorant to combat body odor.
- In cleaning, sodium bicarbonate is used to remove paint and surface rust.
Fun fact: To remove most surface pesticides, simply wash your fruits and vegetables in a mixture of sodium bicarbonate and water.
Should you have any health concerns regarding sodium bicarbonate, please consult your doctor.